Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What to do with leftovers?

Make soup of course! Yesterday for lunch we had our typical steamed veggie type meal. (see "A Healthy Lunch") Bob asked me in the afternoon "what's for dinner"...as if I knew! But I did have something semi-prepped since the sunny morning rapidly turned gray and drizzly I knew I had to do something soupy. In the morning I put about 1 1/2 cups of washed red lentils into the small slow cooker with about 4 cups of water and let it cook for about 2 hours and keep warm for the rest of the day. Then near dinner time I sauteed 1/2 yellow onion and 2 large chopped portobello mushrooms in red wine, added the leftover steamed veggies (red potatoes, carrots, zucchini and orange bell peppers) and the soupy lentils. Let it heat thoroughly and then added about 2 cups of shredded spinach at the end. Served it in a bowl over brown rice. It was very good. And I even have a little of it leftover for today's lunch.


I love it when I have something...anything...cooking all day like that. I rarely know what I'm going to make for dinner until I make it. But when I have something basic like chili or cooked lentils, it's a great base to build on.

Farley

9 comments:

  1. Testing.... having cookie problems here - computer cookies, not the edible kind.

    This kind of information is SO valuable to me. The woman who engineered Bob's success has a lot to teach me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clean out the refrigerator soup is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMM! I too love stuff that cooks all day! I wish I had more "all days" to do it in! Your recipes are so great, farley! Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is surprising how tasty these impromptu dishes can be. The only problem is that, when you find a real winner, it is hard to duplicate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!!! Bob, my DH has had the same "complaint" all our married years! (43 of them!) I so seldom could ever replicate a dish, so Farley's creations seem quite normal to me!

    One of my favs -- chili over baked potatoes. Now if I got a steamer, it could be chili over steamed potatoes! Oooo. And DH just ordered a bunch of Yukon Gold potatoes. I'm starting to drool here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cyndy,
    I also love chili over potatoes, and yukon golds are some of my favorites (also red potatoes). The small potatoes are especially good in the steamer. I think it is great that Farley introduced you to this healthy, but unusual, lifestyle. I think you will find things keep getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm enjoying the fact that Bob is now friends with my dear friend Cyndy who I met online through our scrapbooking forum. Cyndy became interested in our lifestyle when I dared to post about it on this non-health related website. Cyndy seized this way of eating with incredible enthusiasm and gusto. This past October Cyndy and I met IRL for the first time in Wisconsin at the paper arts retreat that our forum puts on. What a delight to meet Cyndy and spend 4 fabulous days playing with her during our arty workshops. Cyndy was able to drive to WI and came so well prepared with her own oatmeal and other healthy foods. She had scoped out ahead of time a grocery store near our hotel so we could stock up on "real" food. It was not easy walking through the mine field of the food that was offered to us. I ate a lot of raw veggies that weekend, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww, thanks you guys! You know you are both my heros! I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately, and how difficult it is for me to see the largest percentage of the people I encounter as basically making themselves sick with every bite of "food". And it's everywhere -- can't avoid it.

    But I've also come to realize that a person can't really "hear" this as an option until they are somehow ...ready. I, myself, tried to ignore my strong attraction and every time I saw Farley's name on the scrapbook forum, I thought I should give it a try. Months later -- maybe a year even -- I jumped in and never looked back. Still a newbie I think. So am very grateful for this blog and the sharing.

    And it was AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME to meet and spend time with Farley!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't scrapbooked in 4 years now and miss my Paint Shop Pro. I wound up getting rid of all the paper and supplies but still did it on the computer. I saved old scrapbook pages on my Flickr pages under scrapbooking!

    ReplyDelete