Monday, November 8, 2010

While Bob's away... / Easy Chili recipe

I'll be Bob for a few hours until he gets home from his big TV debut.

So you all want a recipe?  Cyndy suggested the chili  so that's what I'll post today.  This was one of the very first dishes I made for Bob.  We found it so delicious that it encouraged us to think this drastic change in our diets might not be as difficult as we first thought.  Through these last 3 years I've done my best to create short cuts.  When we began this I was sure I was suffering from "repetitive chopping syndrome" and "I'm never getting out of the kitchen-itis".  There's a little chopping and cooking involved in this chili but I've streamlined it just a little by using a fresh-style salsa and Pico De Gallo.  Pico De Gallo is just a combination of fresh chopped tomatoes, onions, jalapeno chiles and cilantro.  I like spicy foods so the Pico De Gallo is optional.   I cook this and just about everything else in a 14" high sided sautee pan.

Mind you, I'm no chef.  This is typical of my "by the seat of my pants" cooking.  So when Bob says, " Wow, write this down", I do but results may vary as they say, LOL.

Enjoy!

EASY CHILI


INGREDIENTS:
red wine for sauteeing (cover the bottom of the pan with it)
1 large yellow onion diced
2 bell peppers, any combo of red/yellow/orange diced
1 container of Pico De Gallo (optional)
2 cans of no-salt rinsed & drained black beans
2 cans of no-salt rinsed & drained red kidney beans
2 cans of no-salt diced tomatoes with juice
1 4 oz can of diced mild chiles drained
1 large container of fresh style salsa
½ package of frozen roasted corn (Trader Joe's)
½ cup of red wine
1 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbs chile powder

Heat ¼ - ½ cups of red wine in pan. When bubbling add the diced bell peppers and onion. Sautee until well cooked and starting to caramelize. Add cumin and chile powder and stir for 30 seconds, then add all remaining ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes or more. You can also place all ingredients (after saute) into a slow cooker and just let it slow cook all day...the longer the better.

Serve over a pile of salad greens or spinach and brown rice. Crumble toasted whole corn tortillas over top with chopped green onions.   I also have to dash on Tobasco Sauce for my own serving.


4 comments:

  1. Okay, I think I better re-describe the pan I use. It's 14 inches across with about a 3 inch high side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. I love chili.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!!! Love the 14 inch high sides!
    And, Wow! You make a boatload of chili! Since I cook for just one person, I could freeze the entire season's chili with this recipe!

    I so relate to your I'll-never-get-out-of-the-kitchen beginnings. Sounds very familiar. I think I was really trying to make super delicious and almost gourmet dishes to ensure a successful start. Now, however, my tastes have become almost simple. Love the flavor and texture of short grain brown rice with some black beans and some salsa scooped out of the jar. For fancy: some corn over the top. I find it just delicious!

    And, Farley .. the various chili powders I got at Penzey's -- LOVE them! Great flavors!

    Tonight, I filled a green pepper with a compo of red beans & rice with spicy diced tomatoes & corn. Baked it for 45 minutes. Gourmet after all!!! Woo Hoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cyndy your peppers sound delish. I love the Penzey's Chipotle Powder. I know what you mean by simple. I think we all start out thinking we have to make something ultra-gourmet but it is so unnecessary. Bob and I really have turned to more basic dishes and enjoy them thoroughly. BTW, the chili does freeze well. I nearly always have plenty to freeze and I'm often grateful I do at a later date.

    ReplyDelete