Saturday, October 1, 2011

October 1 Food

Lunch - October 1

Farley made a wonderful lunch today.  It was a variation on a theme of what has become my standard lunch - a large salad.  It starts with a very large serving of mixed greens - today consisting of salad greens and chopped spinach.


The greens were put into a large bowl, and had to be crunched to fit.






On top of that was a great veggie salad mix that Farley worked hard on for our first day of the challenge.  It seemed like there was some of everything in there.  Orange cherry tomatoes, zucchini, black beans, cauliflower, radish, celery, carrot, & yellow bell pepper.  Lots of chopping - thanks sweetheart.




Here is what one oz. of walnuts look like.  These were added to the mix.






On top  of all this was added a baked Japanese sweet potato.  These are delicious.  No dressing was necessary.  The bites of sweet potato and walnuts provided lots of wonderful taste.






Dinner Oct. 1
Not much to write here.  Went out for a 1 hour kayak paddle on the local lake.  Then I ate the same thing as lunch.  There was just enough and it tasted just as great.  No beverages today but water (that goes without saying in the future.  I'll list anything I drink other than water.)

5 comments:

  1. Japanese sweet potato? I had never heard of that before. I'll have to try some sweet potato on salad, interesting.

    Your lunch/dinner look yummy - I did the same thing for lunch and dinner also, just easier that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't find Japanese sweets close to home. They had them at the co-op in East Lansing a couple months ago, I bought some and they were wonderful! Better yet, no one else here likes them so they were all mine. (c8

    I am going to ask my local supermarket to get them for me. I don't have high hopes but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you can find these sweet gems. Even our son, who wouldn't touch any other kind of potato will eat these. Their sweetness is like a treat. As time goes on I'll post other Japanese sweet potato recipes. But you can substitute them with yams or regular sweet potatoes as well.

    Every day is an altered version of the day before. Typically I just "shop" for what is in the fridge and make something out of it. Keeping it simple is my motto. Often chopped raw veggies left over from lunch get added to the steamer that night with other things for dinner. And definitely make a double or triple recipe of what you make for lunch so you can either use it again for dinner or for lunch the next day. Raw chopped vegetables will keep for a few days if covered up and refrigerated.
    Farley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I survived brunch! LOL!! I swore I would be able to post anything I ate without shame, and that gave me a lot of willpower. Today so far - oatmeal without almond milk - just some fruit added, and hashbrowns. Leaving off that almond milk was hard, but I survived. The rest of the family... SAD. Sigh....

    I'll eat lots of greens tonight to make up for such a starch-heavy start to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - no ketchup on the hashbrowns!!! wowza, I missed that but I'll live.

    ReplyDelete