Monday, October 3, 2011

October 3 Food

Lunch
Again, no breakfast.  If I felt truly hungry at breakfast, I would eat breakfast - but I don't.  Is Lunch looking familiar yet?

I started with a large bowl of mixed salad greens and spinach.






A scoop of brown rice on top.





Topped with last nights roasted squash dish.





Then added some mixed fruit/berries and a few walnuts, crushed.
Simple, quick, and effective.






Dinner

Dinner was fast and simple.  Brown rice with a steamed veggies and beans.  The veggies were carrots, green beans and yellow bell peppers.  As usual, these were placed on top of a large amount of chopped greens (salad greens and spinach)  On top were a few crushed walnuts.  I was hungry and ate quite a bit.

The steamer is a real time saver.  I wrote a review which you can find in this blog.  I also need to write a rice cooker review.  My conclusion - if you can afford it, get an induction model Tiger rice cooker.  If you can't afford it, get something like the Sanyo regular heating model.  It is important to have cookers with timers and a way to keep the food warm.

When I returned from orchestra rehearsal I was still hungry.  The rice was gone, so I warmed a sweet potato and had it with the left over veggies/beans, again with some walnuts on top.

5 comments:

  1. Fruit on top?!! I would not have thought of that on my own, but I bet it's good. Some recipes call for sugar but using fruit instead would be better, it's a whole food. How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding fruit to dishes makes sense to me. I want to get in some fruit, and why not use it to sweeten something that might otherwise be sour, bitter, or tasteless. Why used refined sugars when fruit is so good. i rarely eat fruit alone - I use it to add interest and sweetness to things like oatmeal, which is otherwise drab, or salad greens, which are otherwise a bit bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot to mention that there were also black beans in the steamer mix as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Farley, I was going to ask what else was in there! I could see something else!

    These photos are so helpful. I know it is a lot of work and fuss to do this, thank you so much!

    We use frozen corn and peas to cool off hot dishes faster so we can eat sooner. Same with fruit in oatmeal, although I haven't been eating oatmeal because I'm not eating breakfast. But I could do the same thing with savory foods, adding frozen fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that exact steamer (and love it!) because of Bob's post awhile ago.

    ReplyDelete